Sunday, October 26, 2008

Batman #680 - DC


Wow! That's about all I can say. This issue was fantastic. But I also have to say . . I knew it . . I knew Jezebel was in on this right from the beginning. I enjoyed all the theatre that the Black Glove performed for his rich and influential guests, but to me the real highlight of the book was the interaction between Batman and the Joker. The Joker knows that he's on the brink of mental collapse, but he continues to goad him on. "You and I, we had a special arrangement . . a yin/yang thing . . Holmes and Moriarty, tweety and sylvester, hats and gloves, but you . . . you shot me in the face! Na! Na! Na!" The Black Glove refers to the Joker as his faithful servant, but . . I think he was just brought in to this because they knew he wouldn't be able to resist. So while the Joker isn't actually his servant . . the Black Glove does seem to have him jumping through some hoops. I'm not sure that's going to go over very well with the Clown Prince of Larceny. Also it appears that everybody . . the Black Glove, the Joker, Jezebel, all the guests . . everyone know that the Batman is Bruce Wayne now. But I suppose that's all moot if he doesn't live through this experience. In the end, Batman, Bruce, finally gets to where they're holding Jezebel but the floor is covered with black and red rose petals. Separately they're not a problem . . together they activate a deadly neurotoxin. And the room Jezebel is in . . . is covered in them. The issue ends as Batman slips off into a fever dream. Jezebel is looking down on him with a sinister grin and says, "Look. Look at his eyes. Now he knows. Batman's finally giving in." Grant Morrison is doing an amazing job with this story-line. It's everything that it was built up to be . . and more. Supposedly it wraps up next issue, but . . that's probably just the immediate predicament. I mean there's got to be a lot of fall-out after this story-arc. I also can't praise Tony Daniel enough. He has been absolutely terrific on this book. I've been a fan of his for some time, but honestly this is the best stuff I've ever seen from him. This is truly a classic in the making. And the alternate cover is only $25 . . . yippee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment