Friday, October 17, 2008

Secret Invasion: the Amazing Spider-man #2 - Marvel


Spider-man is stuck in the Savage Land, but the Skrull . . that's hot on Jackpot's tail . . really, only wants Spider-man. I've gone on before about how I don't want to get all caught up in this Secret Invasion thing . . it's spilling over into all of the regular titles anyways . . I kind of have to follow it by default. As far as the mini-series go . . I just consider these to be a Spider-man book . . or in this case Jackpot. The same as with the X-Men. But now I'm starting to run into a bit of a problem. As I'm reading through some of these books, I feel like I'm missing pieces. It's frustrating, but my assuagement is that a few months from now none of this will make a bit of difference anyways. I mean . . what are the ramifications of the Infinity Gauntlet mini-series? Is there something that came out of that which had a lasting affect on the Marvel Universe? Does anyone even remember the Infinity Gauntlet mini-series? What about the Secret Wars and the Beyonder? Other than Spider-mans black costume . . which turned out to be a symbiote . . which later turned evil because it felt rejected by it's host, Peter Parker . . which then evolved into numerous other parasitic evil villains . . Venom, Carnage, Anti-Venom . . other than that, what really came out of that mini-series? Anyways, my point is, it's rare and far between that any of these series has any lasting affects. We still feel the ramifications of the Civil War mini-series . . for now. But 3 to 5 years from now . . that'll all be gone. And Cap will be back. I just haven't quite figured out how they're going to do that, yet. Which in a nutshell is why I refuse to follow this latest chapter. And don't even get me started on this Marvel Apes thing. I'm not discounting the work of Brian Reed and Marco Santucci on this series. I mean creatively they really only have so much free-will. There's really only so much Brian can do with this simple-minded Skrull who thinks that everything smells like Spider-man. And I think Marco's work has actually improved since the first issue. But why not name this book for what it is . . Secret Invasion: Jackpot? At least let's be accurate about that.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more!!! I can't stand this entire Secret Invasion storyline!! Right off the bat, it disregards so much Marvel history that it has me, at times, literally pulling my hair out!

    You are also 100% correct when you say that within a few years, all this will be forgotten/retconned and the status quo will be back.(I hope)...

    Every year, since Joe Quesada has become Editor in Chief at Marvel, it seems like there have been an endless supply of "epic earth-shattering" mini-series(Maximum Security, House of M, Decimation, Civil War, World War Hulk and the list goes on). That's one of the main problems with Marvel today, all Quesada cares about is making money at the expense of good story telling. Quesada and his ilk(Bendis, Yost, etc.)have rewritten a massive amount of Marvel history and ignored whatever they wanted to in order to suit their own ends, and that is just the wrong thing to do to all the talented editors and writers/artists who came before them.

    You are also right on when you say that in short order, the after effects of Civil War will no longer be felt as well. I'd bet that this Skrull Invasion is just a way to fix the mess Marvel/Quesada made out of the Super Hero community thanks to Civil War.

    Unfortunately, I think we'll be dealing with these ridiculous mini-series on a yearly basis for as long as Quesada is EOC...

    Anyway, I apoligize for writing so much, but I just wanted to agree with you completly on how worthless this whole "Secret Invasion" mini-series is. It's just another excuse for Marvel to try to make a quick buck, as opposed to telling a good story...

    ReplyDelete