Friday, October 17, 2008

WildCATS #3 - WildStorm


I'm enjoying this book. I always have liked the WildCATS. But we're only a couple of months into the aftermath of Armageddon and already there are some inconsistencies and questions. From what I've understood from our 3 books . . WildCATS, the Authority, and StormWatch . . there's really no technology or anything left on Earth. I assume everything was pretty much wiped out from all the EMP pulses from the bombs. Correct? I also assume that's why StormWatch is still working because they're working out of their orbital station. I mean in Authority even Angela, the Engineer, is having problems getting her systems, or the Carrier's back on line. However, in this series we actually have 2 mechanical characters, Hadrian and Maxine, whom both are not only working fine, but they've rigged up a MIRV craft to run off of power that they use from both of them. I mean, first of all they should both be inert. Right? Secondly, even if somehow they were working, wouldn't the last thing they'd want to do would be to share their power knowing that it might be near impossible to 'recharge'? I mean, I'm just askin'! Anyways, we'll put those inconsistencies behind and talk about the forest that they've found in Nevada. They decide to head inland, from California, and see how the rest of the country has fared. But it's only Warblade, Hadrian and Maxine on board when they find it, so they decide to head back to the HALO building and pool their resources. Voodoo can't sense anything from the Earth, so they assume that it's part of the Nevada Garden project. "The Nevada Garden used advanced nanotechnology to create whatever people wished for. It was removed by StormWatch . . And presumably destroyed with their old satellite. But if a piece was left, all it would take is someone nearby wishing for paradise, and it would appear." Assuming that implausible reason is actually the case . . how is the nanotechnology working in this post-apocalyptic society? So in my eyes, so far, this whole story is based on a series of inconsistent assumptions. Which is sad, because when they finally make it back to the forest they find that it's inhabited with all manner of beast, and it's protector is . . Paris, from StormWatch PHD.. Apparently somehow he's made it there and has decided to protect all of the animals. But he has the help of some old WildCAT members also . . Graymalkin and Sheba, to name a few. In the back-up story, Director Stayton got caught in an I/O research facility in New Mexico when everything went down. Now all the people that were being experimented on have broken out of their cages and he has to figure out how to get out before they kill him. I assume he's going to be another member of Team7 when his story is done here. Now don't get me wrong . . I'm enjoying Christos Gage's story here. But there are some inconsistencies. Basically all I'm asking for is for them to be addressed. Or at least explained briefly. The other thing I enjoy about this book is the art. Neil Googe is one of my favorite artists out there. I really enjoy his style, and he can create some very moody scenes. I enjoyed his work on Tranquility, and even way back on Bazooka Jules. Like I said he has a unique style, and I really think he's gotten better as he's gone along. We also get some great work by Mike McKone in the Slayton story. I enjoy this book, and I would like to see the WildStorm Universe get back on it's feet after this devastation. But, I think we need to make sure that everybody is following the same set of ground rules. I really hope they sort it out, but I'm starting to think that they've may have bitten off more than they could chew with this new direction in these books. Please, Please . . pull it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment