Monday, October 13, 2008

Jack of Fables #26 - Vertigo


To tell you the truth . . I'm not really sure why I continue to read this book. I mean . . it's ok. It's a pleasant distraction from the rest of the super-hero genre. But the way that Bill Willingham and Matthew Sturges write it . . I feel like they just basically 'wing-it' every issue. Some of them are interesting . . some of them are funny . . but then sometimes, it feels like they just bull-shit their way along until they fill up the 22 pages. We did make some headway in the story though this issue. Bookburner is on his way to the Golden Boughs and Revise is treating it like the invasion of Normandy . . or Pearl Harbor, or something. Somehow though, I think, these Page sisters are going to be the key to the whole thing. They just don't know it yet. Last issue we focused on Robin, and now this issue it's her sister Priscilla. I'm not sure how they can affect things, but Kevin comes to talk to Pris this issue and he informs her that the reason Revise is so upset is because Bookburner has Hillary, and Hillary is his daughter. That confuses Pris because she says they never knew their father. That's when Kevin informs her that Revise is indeed Hillary's father, but Pris and Robin have a different father. It turns out their father is . . . Bookburner. The final revelation of the book is that Humpty Dumpty is back . . they put him back together again . . but now, he's Deviled Egg. I know. It's not as climactic as I thought it would be. But . . that's how these stories go. I want to like them. But sometimes after I read them, I just think . . what's the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment