Monday, October 13, 2008

Madame Xanadu #4 - Vertigo


Well . . last issue, our main character moved forward in time, and we found her in the great halls of Xanadu . . the palace of Kublai Khan. But then some visitors arrived. Some seen . . Marco Polo . . and some not . . the Phantom Stranger. Before their arrival, Madame Xanadu had a dream about Marco and the Stranger. She felt that Marco was there as a hero, but the Stranger's motives were unseen. So she warned Khan, and the Stranger became a prisoner. This issue it appears that a move is being made against Khan, and some of his advisers seem to be in the habit of raping his consorts. Madame Xanadu and Marco bring both instances to a stop and expose them to Khan. In his gratitude he offers Marco a prize from his grand chest. In with all the gold and precious stones is a emerald lantern. That is what Marco chooses. And apparently that was the Strangers mission . . to free the lamp. I'm guessing from what the Stranger says, that it's a predecessor of one of the Green Lantern lamps. But that's just a hunch I have. Anyways, the Stranger frees himself but Khans guards see him with Madame Xanadu, implicating her. Therefore when the Stranger leaves she too must also . . for her safety . . leave the grand halls of Xanadu behind her. But I have a feeling that she's only just begun her journey. I really enjoy Matt Wagner's story here. I like the way he's bringing this character from being a forest imp, during the time of Camelot, into the future and a grand mystical character in the DC Universe. I'm just wondering where her adventure is going to take her next. I'm also impressed with the artwork of Amy Reeder Hadley. It's very impressive. She draws with crisp clean lines, and I think she has a unique interpretation of these characters. I think she's improved already, just in these 4 issues, and I can't wait to see what the future holds in store for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment