Sunday, October 05, 2008

Birds of Prey #122 - DC


First of all I have to say that Stephane Roux's cover are delicious . . er, I mean . . fantastic! This girl has really come a long way in a short period of time. The interior work is done by Michael O'Hare. It looks pretty good also. I'm not particularly fond of his interpretation of the Joker, but . . other than that . . I like the rest. Anyways, the Platinum Flats crime syndicate, with the help of their recruited advisor, the Joker, are making a play to find out just who their adversaries are. They set up a trap with the intent of putting a tracer on one of the girls and then finding out just who Oracle really is. I like the way Tony Bedard is using some of the peripheral characters sporadically, or on an as needed basis. In this book that includes ManHunter, Zatanna and Infinity. But we still don't really know all that much about Infinity. I'm sure her story will be coming up soon though. The biggest surprise in this story though is on the final page when Babs comes face to face with the Joker. She thinks that the syndicate gave their location to the police, because there's a car sitting outside. Actually though, it's the Joker dressed as a police officer. "Officer Slaughter, Miss . . . I'm here to see the Oracle. And, no, I don't have an appointment." I like this book. It's not like your typical team book. All of these character admitedly work better solo. But, when they do work together . . it's fantastic. And Babs, besides being the un-official leader, is also like the big sister or best friend to all of those that work with her. The relationships that they share are incredible. I think that any of them would lay down their lives for any of the others. But anyways . . . I can't wait for next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment