Friday, October 17, 2008

Avengers: the Initiative #17 - Marvel


First of all let me say that I have the utmost respect for the story-telling abilities of Dan Slott and Christos Gage. I think that with what they have to work with here, they've both done an incredible job. And, despite what I'm going to say about the rest of this book, I thought that Harvey Tolibao did a fantastic job on the pencils this issue. There are actually some very sharp looking panels in this book. Unfortunately . . all the above creators are another casualty of the Secret Invasion now. As the ads say . . 'Embrace change!'. My ass! The only thing I liked about this issue was seeing the 3 crews that have been assembled to take on this Skrull problem. We met the one team and issue or 2 ago . . Skrull Kill Crew. They aren't actually part of the Initiative, but 3-D man has hooked up with them to help them out with his unique gift. We find out this issue that the Initiative had also taken the 'initiative' to put together it's own espionage unit, which is made up entirely of Initiative members . . including Mutant Zero. Who coincidentally kind of looks like Jean Grey from the back. But really . . that's all we know about her. And finally there's the team of legacy heroes that Nick Fury has scrambled together because he can't trust anyone else. Anyways, besides these 3 unique groups . . the rest of the comic actually kind of pissed me off. I read this book a week ago, or so, but haven't written anything down because I couldn't quite figure out how to put it in words. So I'm going to put it like this . . the 'Embrace Change' add that's in the center of the book . . it shows a young Skrull girl with 2 other girls eating ice-cream. Skrulls change shape. That's the nature of their being. So while the ad is supposed to show 3 cute girls, of various nationalities, playing together . . I see a Skrull who could be anyone, including a child molester, playing with 2 of your neighbor's kids. I mean, since they shape-change, who's to say that this isn't actually a full-grown Skrull posing as an innocent child? Anyways, that's how I kind of feel about the whole issue. I've actually enjoyed this series so far, but now . . it seems like they've sold-out to the Secret Invasion megalith. And this book is probably within it's final issues, or at least it's final story-arc. Like I said, the whole thing just really left a bitter taste in my mouth. Which is really . . . sad!

No comments:

Post a Comment