Thursday, October 30, 2008

Batman Confidential #22 - DC


This issue appears to be a telling of one of the first times that Batman apprehended the Joker. I think what the gist of the story is . . right from the beginning, Batman and the rest of the Police Department seriously underestimated this guy. Even with the psychotic nature of his crimes . . and the sheer number of victims . . everyone seems to be thrown off by his demeanor and dress. I mean, at the time of this story, the Joker is leaving victims all across Gotham, but for questioning they have him cuffed to the desk and he's joking around with the Detectives. And for booking, they throw him in the holding cell with the rest of the common street criminals. Huge mistakes, as attested by the victims in the final pages of this issue. I'm not sure what other work Andrew Kreisberg has done, but I thought he did a pretty good job with the story here. It's not so much a story about the Batman, as it's a story about the repercussions of the actions of the Batman . . and his decision to handle the Joker like any other street-thug. Also I'm usually a big Scott McDaniel fan. But, for some reason, his art in this issue just didn't excite me that much. I mean, don't get me wrong . . it was ok. I just wasn't overly thrilled with it. Now the cover on the other hand . . by Stephane Roux . . was fabulous. But, I don't think she's done anything on the interiors yet. Overall I enjoyed the issue. I just thought the visuals were a bit . . 'ho-hum'. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment