Monday, October 13, 2008

Blue Beetle #31 - DC


When this book first started, I was one of it's biggest opponents. First of all I didn't like the art. Secondly, after having been a Justice League fan for such a long time, I just didn't like this interpretation after having seen what Ted Kord did with his career. This title just seemed sophomoric at best. On top of all that, I didn't believe that this kid, Jamie Reyes, had it in him to live up to the Blue Beetle heritage as it's been chronicled through the DC, and Charlton, Universe. Basically, I just wasn't buying it. In the early issues I predicted that it would probably only make to issue #20 . . maybe #25. I was wrong. On all accounts, really. Except, I think I'll stick with my opinion of the art. I don't feel that it ever really did the book justice. But that's just me. As far as Jamie, and Blue Beetle . . I think that the character has grown dramatically. Yes this was all kind of thrust upon him, but . . Kyle Raynor was in pretty much the same position, and look how he turned out. And he didn't even have the family or emotional ties that this kid has. Plus now . . he's starting to interact more and more with the rest of the DC Universe. He's been popping up pretty regularly over in Teen Titans . . I think he and Red Devil may just be the next Blue & . . er, Red? Anyways, they kind of have a love / hate relationship. This issue he makes some contact with the Justice Society . . specifically Doc Mid-Nite. I've also enjoyed some of the twists and turns that have occurred throughout this series. This issue he gets played by a politician with aspirations for Governor . . " . . Blue Beetle has been officially Deputized by the DA's office and the US Border Patrol. Our city's own hero will be the point man for all border protection activities in this sector!" Afterwards Jamie has the typical teen-age response, "I have no idea what I just got signed up for. But I'm pretty sure it's gonna' suck." Anyways, I'm not trying to sell you on this series. It's one of those books, either you like it . . or you don't. But, after reading all of these issues, I do feel that this character, and this title, still has some huge untapped potential. Whether it reaches it or not is really all up to it's creative team . . currently, Matthew Sturges and Andre Coelho. But, the ride is half the fun . . right?

No comments:

Post a Comment