Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ultimate Fantastic Four / Ultimate X-Men Annual #1 - Marvel


I have to say, overall . . I didn't really like this book. I didn't feel like the 'problem' . . the reason for the team-up . . was ever really resolved. It was interesting seeing this future bunch of characters . . both on the Fantastic Four and the X-Men . . but, nothing was really resolved except for retrieving Reed from the future where he was taken in the first part of this story. To me the only thing that really came out of it was the warning that the Future Reed gave our present Sue. "Sue, you're going to be tested. Soon. There're some things even we can't stop, Sue. The called it 'the Ultimatum'. We were defined by how we dealt with it. You, specifically. Your passion. It's what makes you amazing, you just need to learn to . .", but unfortunately he's not allowed to finish his thought. I also thought there were some rather unique ideas presented here. In the future they've based the Sentinel program upon Wolverine's design . . him, specifically. And then this issue we find out that the Master Mold is actually his body . . wired directly into the computers and what-not. I also thought it was interesting to find out that sometime between now and 20 years in the future Reed solves Ben's problem . . turning him back human. But later we find out that there were also repercussions . . Reed, Cyclops and Steve Rogers, to name a few, also lost their powers. Don't get me wrong, overall I thought it was an interesting issue . . as far as ideas being presented. I just don't feel that Aron E Coleite and Joe Pokaski did a favorable job presenting the time-line or explaining things. It all seemed a bit convoluted and jumbled. But they were trying to accomplish a lot. Unfortunately, I don't feel that they succeeded. I also wasn't overly thrilled with the art. The couple pages that Brandon Peterson did were OK. But the pages in the middle, by Eric Nguyen, I thought laked a definitive style or consistency. As with many artists I've seen lately, there's a lot of potential. But there are a lot of very talented artists out there. If they don't find their niche quickly, they could just as easily be passed by. Maybe when I read the March on Ultimatum story-line I'll appreciate more of what happened here. But, unfortunately, without that reference it's hard to appreciate these 2 issues. A- for effort though.

No comments:

Post a Comment