Thursday, October 09, 2008

Batman and the Outsiders #11 - DC


I had just mentioned in the Titans blog that Julian Lopez is now gone from this series. But, I felt that last issue, Ryan Benjamin had done a pretty decent job of filling in. This issue however . . I wasn't so pleased with the product. Ryan's a talented artist . . I'll give him that. But this issue . . just seemed like he rushed through it or something. Nothing was really 'wrong', but . . some of the panels just kind of felt like they weren't finished, or were done haphazardly. I'll be the first to tell you that I think the story is more important than the art, but . . sometimes I get frustrated when someone's talent, or potential, exceeds, by far, their output. And that's why it frustrates me, because I've seen much better work from Ryan. Anyways, on to Frank Tieri's story. I think Frank did a good job of showing how each of the characters have been dealing with the loss of their mentor, friend or boss. I don't think anybody believes that he's dead, but . . I also think that they believe he may not be coming back. The one most touching to me was the Commissioner and Dick. They really seem to be taking it the hardest. But then, Cassandra, I think, is obviously distraught. But, since she's a naturally violent person, it's hard to tell what she's doing different to deal with her feelings. However, at the end of the book, we find out that Batman has left a message for the group. "I wish that there was more time to explain myself, but there isn't. And really, there are only two things you need to know right now, anyway. First, I want you to know there's a reason why I've had to do things this way. And second . . . I'm going to need your help." The previews say next issue one of the Outsiders dies. That not a good omen. Despite my slight ragging on the artist, I did thoroughly enjoy this issue. Now that we're done with this Black Glove thing, we can get on with dealing with how to find the Batman . . and bring him back. The teams questions it's viability this issue . . . I don't know why they even bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment