Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the Boys #23 - Dynamite Entertainment


I love this title. I like it that it doesn't take itself to seriously. I also like that it's also poking fun at Marvel now. You have to admit that the Seven and Teenage Kix are a blatant stab at DC . . the Justice League and the Teen Titans. But this issue they start poking fun at Marvel with the G-Men. Gee, I wonder who they're modeled after. "Here's the world's most popular outcasts." "Well, seven teams, eighty plus individuals. They're . . just about the biggest supes in the world, I suppose . . not the most powerful . . they're not exactly what you'd call 'A-list' . . but they're the most valuable. They're a mailto:fu@*in license to print money. Vought make about a billion world wide off the comics alone . . yearly. They've a sorta reputation as . . rebels. That's what accounts for their popularity. Outsiders. Runaways . . . Godolkin, he got the first ones together when they were orphans." And the teams have names like G-Men, G-Force, G-Style and G-Wiz. I think the only one I don't see is . . G-Unit. I'd have thought that Garth Ennis would've thought of that one. And wait until you see the cover for issue #25. There's something going on with these teams that no one seems to be able to figure out. Butcher's never gone after them before because they seem to operate more discreetly. He decides it time to get some intel on them, so he's going to send someone in undercover . . Hughie. He wants him to get some information on Godolkin, and he wants him to plant some bugs around G-Mansion. I assume he'll take something that'll give him some powers, and Butcher's got him in a costume. A ridiculous costume, but . . a costume none the less. "Ha!! Oh, Jesus Christ . .! Oh, Hughie, I'm sorry . . but you don't half look like a cunt, mate." I guess he's going to call himself 'Bagpipe'. This is a fantastic book, and I can't wait to see where this story-line takes us. Also, from this issue up to #30, there's going to be some 50/50 covers by various artists. This months are by Darick and John Cassaday. Although I'm not sure what the signifigance of issue #30 is. Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson have a fantastic franchise here. I enjoy this book every month and it appears that Garth and Darick are having a good time at is also. Keep it up, boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment