Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ghost Rider #27 - Marvel


This is the second part of our story where Danny Ketch has come back to find his brother . . or maybe just to try to distract him from finding his way to Zadkiel. Recently Johnny found out that he was actually given his powers by the Angel Zadkiel. Therefore he's actually a weapon of Heaven . . not hell. But the important thing, at least to Johnny, is that now he knows who's responsible for making his life the mess that it is. So . . he's been on a quest to go face to face with the Angel. However, he's come across a lot of twists and turns along the way. This time, when he tries to hook up with his old friend Caretaker . . he's hoping that he may have some of the answers for him . . Danny gets there first and is trying to destroy everything the Caretaker has gathered. I think Danny is also in service of Zadkiel, but I think his is by choice. What Danny doesn't know is that Caretaker has set up contingencies for just such an occasion. He's summoned his estranged grand-daughter, Sara, from a local convent. Since she's the last of his blood-line she can absorb all of the knowledge he's gathered and become the new Caretaker. But she's got to do it fast before Danny destroys everything. The issue ends with Johnny and Sara, now the new Caretaker, heading out one of the doors in the caves below the Caretaker's shack into the mountains of Tibet. Johnny is still trying to find Zadkiel. Sara's advice . . "That's easy enough . . . just follow your brother." I think Jason Aaron is doing a decent job with this book. Depending on how this story-arc turns out . . I let you know whether I think he hit the mark or not. I like Tan Eng Huat's art also. I didn't know how his style would take with this book . . and character. It's different, but . . that's ok. I think it's ok to experiment now and then . . as long as the finished product still looks good . . even if it's not what we're used to.

4 comments:

  1. Being a stickler for continuity, I was so angry when they decided to change Johnny Blaze's entire story and make him into an angel. That botherd me so much, because it ignored so may of the preset Ghost Rider mythos that I stopped collecting Ghost Rider. However, after reading your review, I am slightly tempted to pick this comic back up just to read about one of my favorite characters from the 1990's, Dan Ketch. Just out of curiosity, how much is Dan involved with the current story? If you can answer, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far Danny's only made a few spot appearances. However with this issue, and his trying to destroy the Caretaker and his posessions, I think that he's the key to wrapping up this whole thing with Zadkiel. Plus, I think he's working for him by choice. Like I said, at the end of this issue Sara tells Johnny that if he wants to find Zadkiel all he has to do is follow Danny. Also next issue is being billed as "The Last Stand of the Spirits of Vengeance". Or on the "Ghost Writers" page . . "Ghost Rider vs Ghost Rider". So, to answer your question, Danny's involvement has been spotty so far, but I think that's about to get amped up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way that issue, #28, came out yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your quick response, as well as your always super informative reviews. I might have to check out the next issue of GR, because like I said, I was a huge fan of Dan Ketch, and have practically all of the 1990's GR series, so for me, to this day, Dan is still who I think of when I hear the name Ghost Rider.

    ReplyDelete