Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Top 10: Season 2 #1 - America's Best Comics


I was really happy to see this book back in the stack again. I really enjoyed the first run on this book. The only unfortunate thing is that Alan Moore isn't taking part in this series. But, Zander Cannon is writing it, and since he wrote the Smax mini-series, he's got a good feel for these characters. I was also happy to see that Gene Ha would be doing the art. I was confused though . . in the beginning of the book, mostly, he does these pages with all these little panels. It reminded me alot of the old 9 and 12 panel page from the books in the 50's and 60's. I guess it worked ok with the story-telling, but it's just not Gene's usual style. I felt like he was kind of limited with what he could do. But, that being said . . I still enjoyed the book. What I liked the most about this book the first time was just the sheer amount of characters and story-lines that took place in it. Usually there were only 3 or 4 different story-lines going on, but sometimes, until everything started coming together, it seemed like there were 8 or 9. So, with 3 or 4 different characters, at least, taking part in each story-line . . well, you can do the math. There was always a lot going on . . and a veritable zoo of characters. I got the same feeling with this issue. Not quite as many thread-lines, but . . it's hard to compare, let alone keep up with, Alan Moore. The guys a genius . . twisted, and a bit freaky . . he kind of reminds me of Rob Zombie . . but a genius, none the less. But, overall, this book took me right back to the first series. It brought back a lot of the characters that we were familiar with, and introduced us to a couple of new ones. It's sad that this is only going to be a 4 issue series. I'd really love to see it back in the regular rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment