Friday, October 17, 2008

Angel #5 - Marvel


This is the last issue of this mini-series, and I gotta' say . . I really enjoyed it. I thought that Roberto Aquirre-Sacasa did a great job putting this story together and presenting it to us across these 5 issues. It doesn't really explain the 'whys' or 'hows' of Warren's transformation, but . . it does give us a good sense of what he was going through . . as a person . . when all of this was thrust upon him. We start out with him as an over-privileged jock, attending a private school, and dealing with the ambiguous attention of his jet-setting parents. He was the typical teen-age boy, always doing something to attract attention to himself. Then he begins changing. At first he draws into himself, thinking that no one is going to understand what he's going through, but . . he finds out that people are a lot more accepting that we necessarily give them credit for. Well . . maybe not all people, but the people close to him . . if they're his true friends . . will stick by his side no matter what . . and they do. By the end of this issue, through a series of events, Warren is forced to fully embrace what he's become and his potential. He knows that he'll always have to play it safe and be careful who he exposes his secret to, but . . he also knows who his true friends are. Warren comes into contact with Charles this issue, but . . he really doesn't know who he is. At first he thinks it's the voice of god talking to him. So this story takes place before he joins . . or even knows of . . the X-Men. Right now I think he's just glad that he doesn't have to carry the burden of this secret alone. As much as I enjoyed the story here . . I enjoyed the art equally if not more. I've been a fan of Adam Pollina for quite a while now. He changed his style a little bit for this book . . and it really worked. The feel and the flow of the story, I think, was just accentuated by the work that Adam presented here. The art on the cover is really what the inside looks like also. The cover's a little more detailed, but . . it's basically the same. So next time, Adam, please don't make us wait so long between books. I thought this was a fantastic mini-series, and it really did the character justice. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Lately, I've been cutting down on my purchasing of Marvel Comics, purchasing more from DC, but thanks to your review, I think I'll see if I can pick up this mini-series. I always liked Warren, but I must have overlooked this comic for some reason...

    ReplyDelete