Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Uncanny X-Men #501 - Marvel


First of all, I'd like to say that I think Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker are doing a fantastic job with this story. I'm not sure which to credit, or both, but I really like the way they're handling these characters. In the beginning, when Pixie goes through her trauma . . you can really feel her pain. When she finally does make it back to the X-Men, I love the way they handle each person's reaction to her incident. "What I remember most . . . the image that stuck with me more than anything else . . . wasn't the blood. Wasn't the gore. It wasn't my teammates helping the poor girl . . it was her wings. These poor, sad fairy wings, trying so hard to catch the sunlight and reflect it. Just bashed all to hell. These magical things . . . ruined." I appreciate writers who, whether through story or dialogue, can make you feel what the characters are feeling. The same was true for the scene where Emma and Scott are talking, and flirting, in the bedroom. I think it's fantastic that Greg Land is doing the art. Obviously he's very talented and gives this book a fantastic feel. The only problem I have is that I know, unfortunately, that he won't be here for ever. I imagine that he'll probably be here for this story arc, and then he'll be moving on. Don't get me wrong, I love his stuff. But, his participation is also sad because you know it'll have to end. When I saw Beaches for the first time . . you know, that movie with Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey . . I thought the ending was sad as hell. However, the second time I saw it . . knowing how it was going to end . . I thought the whole movie was sad. Unfortunately, that's how I feel. You just know it's going to have to end. So I guess I'll just have to try to enjoy what we get along the way. But, if nothing else, Pixies trauma has prompted the group to be pre-emptive. It turns out the mutant-haters are a group called the Hellfire Cult. The X-Men are going to try to set up some traps for them to take them down. Also, it appears that the group is being led by a woman who calls herself the Red Queen. She kind of looks like Jean in a dominatrix outfit. That should be an interesting development. Overall I thought it was a great book and I can't wait to read more. I also can't believe that we're over 500 now. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment