Friday, September 12, 2008

Blue Beetle #30 - DC


I think Matthew Sturges has done a pretty decent job with this story since he's came on board. I like the way that he's handling Jamie . . and his whole cast of characters for that matter. Also he's proven to me that he can write a pretty decent story without Bill Willingham. Jamie's trying to have a personal life . . good luck with that . . and keep his other job from affecting his friends and family to much. But as he learns while on a double-date, it doesn't take to much for one to bleed over into the other. I also like how his 'relationship' with the scarab is progressing. I just hope he doesn't come to rely on it to much and can make some decisions on his own. Actually, that's what kind of leads to the end of this issue. Jamie is chasing down the 4 guys that came across the border the other day. He's really worried about them because of the drugs, or whatever, they took that gave them abilities. He's worried about the destruction they could cause in his city. Anyways, he has them confronted and they're at an electrical sub-station. They have magnetic powers, and he remembers from physics that he can use the electricity to make an electro-magnet. It should cancel their powers out. He checks with the Scarab to make sure he's not over doing it. After getting the green light, he gives it a shot. He takes them down, but then he finds out they're on the brink of death. He feels guilty for what he did, but he also knows that he listened to the Scarab. The issue ends with he, and the 4 guys, surrounded by police and ambulances. Matt does a good job of expressing Jamie's frustration and lack of experience. Also, I have to say, I'm not a big fan of Rafael Albuquerque's art, however . . I thought he did a nice job on the most recent issue of Superman/Batman. So I know he has it in him. I think he just tries to give this book a certain feel. Which I can appreciate, but . . it's not always my favorite. However, it is consistent. This book has really come a long way since it's inception. I really didn't think it was going to make it this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment