Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Genext #5 - Marvel


Well, this is the final issue of this mini-series. But, as you see on the last page, they've already got the 2nd run in the works. They show some of the sketch-work by Jonboy Meyers. I thought that Patrick Scherberger did a fantastic job with the artwork of this first series. But, Jonboy Meyers will be the perfect artist for the new one. Anyways this issue our team has gone to Genosha to try to retrieve No-name. I know. That's not a very good code-name, but . . I think she's kind of growing in to it. Anyways, on Genosha they come into contact with what can only be described as a dark version of the X-Men. The only one that may be one of the originals is Scott Summers . . and maybe Warren Worthington. The others are twisted versions of the originals . . or descendants maybe. We have Enrique McCoy, Roberto Drak and Janine 'Jenna' Grey. From there it's just an all out battle between the Genext kids and these Dark X-Men. In the end the kids are actually triumphant, and they rescue their friend . . No-name. I thought the series was a good introduction to these characters. They really stand out as a new bunch of kids. The only down-fall is that this all happens in an alternate reality . . or an alternate future . . whichever way you want to look at it. So I'm not sure how far Chris Claremont can really go with these stories. Don't get me wrong, I thought he did a great job and we really got to know and care about these characters, but . . do their stories really matter? For all we know . . this future may never happen. Or, is it far enough in the future that it doesn't really matter to us? I don't know. But, I do know that we're going to get a second mini in a few months or so, so that's a good thing. For a brand new story, with brand new characters, I thought this was a very compelling book. It made us hungry for more . . I guess it served it's purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment