Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dead, She Said #3 - IDW Publishing


I liked this book. I was thrilled to see Berni Wrightson doing some new stuff again. But, I have to say, I kind of felt that the ending . . the resolution . . was a bit anti-climatic. I thought it had a pretty neat concept going on through the first 2 books. The idea of a guy living through his murder, and then having to deal with the progressive nature of the rigor that was taking over his body . . I thought . . was hilarious. And, the longer it took for him to solve his murder, the harder it was getting for him to cover up that he was actually dead, and walking around. The smell alone was a 'dead' give-a-way. Anyways, I can understand how Steve Niles hands are a bit tied, over in Simon Dark by DC, because it's a mainstream title and there's a limit to where he can take the horror. But this is an independent book. I thought there was so much more he could've done here. And then, come to find out, Coogan was killed by this guy who grew and trained giant ants. He thought that Coogan was out to steal his secrets when actually he was trying to find out if the guy was cheating on his wife. He really couldn't have cared less about what he was doing with the ants. Also what seemed kind of preposterous . . the reason he had the ants out killing people, is so that he could collect the body parts and put them together into one big conglomeration. He was kind of like Dr. Frankenstein on acid . . or maybe Ritalin. Don't get me wrong. The story was interesting. It was pretty humorous in spots too. But, like I said, I just thought the ending was a bit lame. And I really don't see how this character can ever come back for a second round, as his body is pretty much through now. But I guess that may be the interesting part of it . . to see how they handle it next time. Anyways, I really hope we see some more new stuff from Berni somewhere. It was kind of like visiting an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment