Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Simon Dark #12 - DC


I thought this was another great issue by Steve Niles and Scott Hampton. I appreciated the irony of how Simon got out of the little trap he walked into last issue. He's a lot smarter character than he looks . . or acts. In fact I think that's probably one of his best attributes . . everyone underestimates him. Which is probably because they don't really know what he is or how he operates. I think we're going to get more of an opportunity though to find out about his past. I was afraid going into this issue. I was afraid that this might be the end of the story. I know it hasn't been advertised as a mini, or maxi, series but . . the way titles have been coming and going lately . . you just never know. So with everything coming to what appears to be such a definitive conclusion this issue . . . I was just afraid that this one might be the last one. It was needless worrying. In fact, I'm not sure if it was a joke or not, but at the end of the issue . . Simon pretty much announces that he's the new Mayor of Gotham. I didn't quite understand what that was all about, but . . . we'll have the next issue and the ones after that to figure it all out. With Steve Niles writing this book, I expected a lot more horror than we've gotten. At first, I was a bit disappointed. But, he's definitely writing a very dark edge to it which I enjoy. It's got a perfect feel for a story that takes place in Gotham. Although I have to say I'm rather surprised that Batman hasn't heard of Simon yet. Or of Geo Populous. But, I'm sure we'll get to that eventually. Between Steve's dark stories and Scott's moody art . . this is quickly becoming one of my favorite titles. I just hope it sticks around long enough for everyone else to get in to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment