Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wonder Woman #24 - DC


Gail Simone and Bernard Chang were at the helm of this book. But, Aaron Lopresti is still around . . he gives us a "Wonder"-ful cover. This issue was really 2 stories in one. Well . . at least 2 different plot threads that were addressed. We start out with Diana and Tresser heading off to Paradise Island. I guess Diana is pretty serious about this whole courtship thing because she's taken him there to get the approval of her mother. Which I guess being a Princess and all would be the natural course of events. It goes pretty much as expected, although I think Hippolyta let him off kind of easy. She could've been a lot more mischievous if she wanted to be. Anyways, from there Diana heads off to Hollywood for the negotiations of a movie that's being made about her. However, during the course of events, one of the studio exec's is found out to actually be the Queen of Fables. I think. I'm not quite sure who she is, but she's using magic to put Diana through the wringer here. She's still not herself entirely, " . . my experience with the Black Horizon . . . part of that void lingers within me." Couple that with the poison apple that she just bit . . she's kind of at their mercy right now . . and the Queen doesn't appear to have any. I thought it was a good issue to lead us off in a different direction from the last story-arc. The beginning pages with Diana and Tom on Themyscira had a fantastic feel to them. Bernard's art looked really great. And I love the subtle humor that Gail brings to her scripts. Overall I really feel that this book is heading in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment