Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ultimate Iron Man #5 - Marvel


I'm not sure what happened in this book . . as far as the art goes, but Pasqual Ferry only does the art for the first 9 pages. After that Leonardo Manco finishes off the book for him. I know Leonardo's work from Hellblazer, and it's a nice style in the right book. However, I don't think his style fits in with this one. Especially in contrast to Pasqual's art in the beginning. I think their individual styles are just to different to mesh well together. For me . . it didn't work well together, at all. I thought the problem lay in the feel of the book. You're reading along in the beginning and Pasqual gives you a certain type of response . . and then . . halfway through . . everything changes. The look and the feel of the book becomes something completely different. I'd also like to say that while I enjoyed Orson Scott Card's story, I thought it was more complicated . . maybe intricate is a better word . . than it needed to be. For a 5-issue story, there was a whole lot of information to absorb here. The recap, in the beginning, could've been 2 pages long. I know that Tony is a more complex character, but . . I think there were a few spots in the story where the over explanation took away from things . . a little bit. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. I liked learning how this Tony varied from the one in the regular Marvel Universe. And, I assume, that with the Ultimate stories, and Iron Man's participation on that team, that this story just takes place when he's younger . . kind of like an 'origin' story . . I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment