Monday, September 01, 2008

Astonishing X-Men #26 - Marvel


I absolutely loved the first chapter of this title. I thought that Joss Whedon and John Cassady were at the top of their crafts. My only complaint, and really it's a minor one, is that near the end they were having a problem keeping things on schedule. And, between #24 and #25, there was almost a 6 month gap. We did get the Super-spectacular, and the Sketchbook for the new creative team, but . . we had to go without one of the best books out there for a couple of months. Also, when the book first started, it was a little hard to tell just where the stories fit in with the regular X-Men continuity . . or if they did at all. That changed later on, but at first I almost thought the stories were taking place in another reality or something. They were fantastic, but they just didn't quite fit. Now were on to 'Chapter 2'. First of all the creative team is amazing. Warren Ellis and Simone Bianchi couldn't be a better match if they were soul mates. And were still getting Simone's incredible covers. Warren's writing is phenomenal. The intricacies he puts into his characters is absolutely amazing. I think he's the perfect follow-up for Joss. They're both heavy on the personalities and characterizations, which will make the flow between chapters seamless. Also they're both incredibly talented in creating the ideas and details that make their stories amazing. Secondly it seems that this title is now much more entrenched in the X-Men continuity. This title and Uncanny, in particular, really seem to be on the same track. My only comment is that I'd like to get to know Armor better. I think we need an issue dedicated to just telling her story . . although, I'm sure it's planned somewhere. Finally . . we seem to be on a more consistent schedule here . . so far. We're really only on the second issue, but . . they came out almost a month apart. That's a good start. I'm sure there will be some hiccups along the way though. I don't know how they'll be able to keep up these incredible incredible issues, and stay on schedule. I mean everybody needs down-time . . right? Anyways, this issue we learn more about the Space-craft graveyard, Chaparanga. They've gone there to find a mutant that seems to be a new form of mutant . . the next generation, if you will. They find him and can barely contain him. He ends up 'self-destructing', I think, but offers a warning before he does. "Bastards. If you think I'm going to let you make me tell you things, you're insane. One of us will get through. You can't stop the annex. You're all dead already." It sounds like it's another antagonist from the future, or a different reality or something. I guess that's why he needed to spaceships. Something to power up the portal. But right now, really, all we have are pieces of the puzzle. We don't know what the picture looks like yet. I have every confidence that this 'chapter' will live up to everything that we've come to expect from this book. They're already off to a brilliant start.

No comments:

Post a Comment