Thursday, September 11, 2008

Legion of Super-heroes #45 - DC


Right now, I don't think this book could be in better hands than Jim Shooter's. I really like the different directions that he's taking these characters in. I mean . . he's got Saturn Girl having an affair with Ultra-boy. Whodathunkit? And, he's got this kid . . this comic-book reading kid . . M'rissey, who's single-handedly taken care of all of the Legion financial and political problems. He's definitely a whiz-kid, and he really seems to be a likeable character. I'm just wondering, ultimately, what his goals or motivations are. I mean, what brought him to the Legion in the first place? He seems wise beyond his years. So who is he really? RJ Brande, or just an RJ Brande 'wanna-be'? Anyways, I'm sure Jim will unfold his secrets in the issues to come. I think it's cool that the most interesting new character in the book is technically on the team . . but has no powers. I can't wait to see what other new characters Jim dreams up. I'm also impressed with Francis Manapul's art. It really gives this book a nice feel. Yes it's different from anyone else that's done this book, but . . so what? With the new creative direction, it also gives the book a new feel. And so far . . I like it. Yes his art isn't as crisp or 'artsy' as some others out there, but . . for these characters, and these stories set in the distant future . . I think he's a perfect fit. I'm still questioning, though, how the Legion of 3 Worlds story-line is going to impact or affect this title. Or if it will at all. Don't get me wrong, I think the more Legion stories . . the more exposure . . the better. I don't really care if they tie in at all. I just think it's a question that eventually will require an answer. For now, though, I'm just enjoying this great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment