Monday, September 01, 2008

the Amazing Spider-man #567 - Marvel


I liked the concept that was created here . . . another person claiming to be Kraven. This time it was a teen-age girl. And she seemed to have the stones to back up her claim. Of course she was tracking the wrong Spider-man. So basically, she was hunting a base-line human. Isn't that below her stature? I'm sure it would be if she knew. And if she really did have heightened senses . . or whatever . . as did the real Kraven, wouldn't she be able to smell the difference . . the way Vermin did? Since Vin took off with Kraven, and took Peter's costume, last issue, Peter was forced to go to Matt and borrow one of his Daredevil costumes. That logic seemed to be kind of a stretch. But anyways, he's looking for Vin and comes across Vermin. As they're fighting, Vermin says, "Your ssscent, not like Daredevil. Smellssss like Ssssspider." Don't you think Kraven would also have noticed the difference? Unless, like any other teen-ager, she was slacking when she did her homework. Long story short, Peter finds Vin, and it takes both of them to get Kraven even close to being on the ropes. She's just to strong and to fast. But then Vermin comes back, and he's pissed off. He doesn't like it that she's invaded his territory . . the tunnels. So while they're going at it, Peter and Vin take off for the hospital. At the end we find out that not only did Kraven capture Vermin, but she actually is the original Kraven's daughter . . . Sergei Kravinoff. I want to say that I've been impressed by some of Marc Guggenheim's stories. And Phil Jimenez is one of my favorite artists ever. However, like I said in the beginning, I liked the concepts that were presented here, however . . I didn't particularly care for the presentation of those concepts. I thought the story was a little weak. There were some leaps in logic that were almost to absurd to be believable. I enjoyed Phil's work, but he only did the breakdowns. Andy Lanning did the finishes. It was ok, but it lacked the usual detail of Phil's work. A majority of the panels . . a large majority . . . had no back-grounds. On pages 4 & 5, out of 12 panels, only 2 had back-grounds. Anyways, I'm not trying to be nit-picky. For what it was . . I thought it was ok. It just seems like the story could've been thought out a little more, and I expected more of the art . . especially with Phil's name on the cover. I think we may be working these guys to hard . . putting out 3 books a month. But that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment