Thursday, September 11, 2008

Batman - Gotham After Midnight #4 - DC


This book is a bit . . 'freaky'. If you don't believe me . . it clearly states it on the cover. I appreciate Steve Niles story. I know he's trying to craft a Wrightson-esque tale here, but ultimately . . I think it's just fun. I don't think Steve has the freedom here that he's usually used to, so I don't think he can take the 'horror' aspect of things quite as far as he would like. I actually think that Kelley Jones' art makes the story much more 'creepy' than the story necessarily does. Well . . except for the part where this Midnight character takes the hearts of his victims. Also, Batman, and the Commissoner, are both thinking that this guy . . minus the killing . . could be Batman. Perhaps he thinks of himself as a 'vigilante'. But they still don't know what motivates him, or triggered this series of events. Also, to me, Batman's character is more of one that's trying to make Gotham a better place to live in. His actions are motivated by the events that occur on a daily basis in Gotham's dark alley's and underbelly. This Midnight character, on the other hand, clearly has a set agenda and list of victims that he feels deserve his measure of 'justice'. At least that's the feeling I get. So I think, comparing him to the Batman is a gross misjudgement of character. Actually, this argument could really stoke a healthy debate that I just don't have time for here. So I'll just say that, to me, these 2 characters really have nothing in common. And, ultimately, this way of thinking exemplifies Steve's talent. The story may not be as horrific as his normal fare, but . . it still stokes a healthy amount of thought and analysis. What more could a writer ask for from one of his stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment