Sunday, September 07, 2008

the Spirit #20 - DC


To me, the best part about this book is the covers. I like all of them, and I like seeing the Spirit in these ridiculous situations. However, the rest of the book . . for me . . just doesn't cut it. I do like the addition of Paul Smith on pencils. Remember when he was at his height with that streak on the X-Men? Anyways, he's adapted his style a bit for this book, and it works nicely with the 'spirit' of the Spirit. But, that doesn't mean that I enjoy the book any more. To me it just seems that since the inception of this line, the creators have worried to much about keeping the character, and the stories, more sophomoric than they need to be. Everything seems to be 'tongue in cheek', but, with the 'political correctness' of the world now a days, they seem to be unwilling to take the joke to far. We get a glimpse of where it could go, but . . there's no payoff. It's all anticipation . . and no climax. To me, the best issue of the whole series was a couple of issues ago, when, for some reason, they wrote in a whole lot of sexual innuendo. It made the book more interesting . . and edgy. Now it's just an average book, sitting on the shelves with the rest of the average books, trying to get attention through it's covers. Unfortunately, there's nothing to back them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment