Saturday, September 13, 2008

Avengers: the Initiative #16 - Marvel


This issue, 3-D man hooks up with Ryder an Riot . . the Skrull Kill Krew. If it sounds ominous, it's because it is. These guys aren't playing around. Ryder kills them, and then Riot rips them into little pieces. It's kind of gruesome, really. And now, with the addition of the 3-D man, they have a fool-proof radar system. "I pity the fool" that crosses these guys path. But there's still a lot of stuff going on back with the Initiative at Camp Hammond. It appear that there's a lot more Skrulls there than we ever imagined. They've decided to make it their base of operations. Then, in New York City . . where it appears that a full-scale invasion is taking place . . Nick Fury has show up with his hand-picked group of Skrull fighters. I thought it was also kind of interesting that Ryder and Riot got their powers, and, I guess, this unquestionable hatred for the Skrulls from the ones that Reed hid way back when. Remember when he had the group of Skrulls he didn't know what to do with? And then he made them turn in to cows and hid them in the mid-west? Well, eventually those cows ended up in the food system and people actually ate them. I guess it affected the people that actually partook differently . . and for different lengths of time. But, Ryder and Riot were 2 of the ones that were permanently affected. Riot is stuck in this crazy alien/gargoyle type figure. I can't believe I'm saying this, but, right now . . out of the 3 different Avenger books . . I'd have to say that this is my favorite of the 3. I think I just like the vast variety of characters that this book offers. Plus I think that Dan Slott and Christos Gage are really doing a great job with this book. Also, at first, I thought that Stefano Caselli's artwork was just . . ok. But I gotta say, as this book goes along, his style is really growing on me. I think this guys got a pretty bright future ahead of him. Overall, I thought it was a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment