Sunday, September 07, 2008

the Brave and the Bold #16 - DC


I have to say, when I first saw the image for the cover of this book, I asked myself how they were going to be able to pull of this team-up. But, to the credit of all involved, I really think they did. The 'coy', 'flirtatious' nature of Selina really played well off of the 'naive', 'boy-scout' nature of Clark. It was a completely different dynamic that what we're used to seeing with her and Bruce. And I really think that's what made it so interesting. The image, and 'feel' that you get off of the cover is really how they play off of each other the entire issue. When Selina first comes across him, she tries to get away, but can't quit babbling the whole time . . "Oh, dear god, those muscles. And that hair. And that smile. 'HE' never smiles. It's always the bad boys with me. Maybe just once I should consider a 'boy scout'. It's not like I'm going to break him. Despite my very best efforts. Mmmm." Anyways, they have to team-up to try to stop an auction that's occuring in Gotham. They're auctioning off a map, which Clark thinks is to Bruce's cave. As it turns out it's actually to the cave where Clayface first got his powers. Which, in the end, could be equally as trouble-some to Gotham. We know that there's a woman behind the whole thing, but we never do actually find out who it is. Maybe that's a future mystery? I really liked the feel that Mark Waid gave this book. It really kept it interesting. And I'm still a huge fan of Scott Kolins. The style that he used in this book isn't exactly the same as what he did in the Flash. But, it's almost like that. It seems to me that he's refining it even more as he goes along. Over-all I thought it was a great issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment