Sunday, September 07, 2008

Birds of Prey #121 - DC


This continues to be one of my favorite team-books. I don't know, maybe I just like all the 'chicks'. Whatever the reason, I really like these characters. I'm trying to get in to all of this Platinum Flats business. I understand the concept . . basically there's this crime syndicate that operates out of this town, but they've kept such a low profile, and their town so clean that nobody even know they're there. Well, except for Babs that is. Misfit gets a little history on the town to, when she goes to High School. I'm betting, in the future . . at least in this town . . Babs is going to be able to get a lot of intel from this direction. Where better to find the town gossip than at the local High School? Well, maybe hair-salons and banks, but I'm guessing mostly the from the kids. They never know how to keep their mouths shut, and they always gossip. Plus now, at the High School, we have a little mystery starting to ripen . . why is Black Alice there? Ok, I know what you're all asking . . so why is the Joker on the cover? Well, it appears that the ol' Jokester has gotten wind of this operation to and has decided to come on board . . I think as a kind of protection of some sort. But as Gizmo asks . . yes, he's still alive, sort of . . "Have you lost your flippin' mind, Visionary?" And speaking of that cover, isn't Stephane Roux turning in some fantastic covers? For some reason they don't recognize her in the credits, but that's definitely her work. And now, with Nicola Scott moving on to other projects, it appears that Michael O'Hare will be taking over the pencil chores. He definitely has a different feel to his work that Nicola, but . . I do like it. As with every artist that's done this book, I'm sure his stuff will only get better and better. This book seems to have a tradition of that. Anyways, I like the story that Tony Bedard is weaving here, but like I said . . I'm trying to get in to this whole Platinum Flats thing. It's an interesting concept, and I'm sure it'll play out well, but, right now, it just seems a little bit of a stretch. Hopefully it'll feel a little more comfortable with a little more explanation. In the meantime though . . 'chicks rule!'.

No comments:

Post a Comment