Monday, September 03, 2007

Wolverine Origins #16 - Marvel


I really, really, really like this book. I think Daniel Way is doing a fantastic job with the stories. I mean, he's really going in to uncharted territory here. We've been wondering about Logan's past for the past . . what? . . about 25 to 30 years. And now we're just going to open Pandora's box? It appears so. But never let it be said that finding out answers doesn't lead to more questions. So far . . we just weren't asking the right ones. I also think that this book has shown some of Steve Dillon's best work ever. Every issue has been fabulous. No my problem with the book has nothing to do with the creative team. My problem comes from the management decisions imposed on it. I mean, gas is $3.09 a gallon right now. So we're all starting to get to the point where we have to watch what we're spending weekly on our little treasure hunts. But this issue was raised to $3.99. When I picked it up, I thought, well that's ok, this issue must be a special story and we'll learn even more about our favorite Canuck. But no. We get our normal 22 page story. Then we do get a new story, but, it's a preview of next month's Wolverine by Howard Chaykin. So the chances are, if you're buying this book, then you'll probably be buying the regular Wolverine title when it comes out next month. So why do we necessarily need to see 8 pages from a book that we'll be buying anyhow? Then on top of that, they reprint, in it's entirety Uncanny X-men #268. I believe it was the first Jim Lee X-men, but more importantly it was a team-up of Wolverine, Captain America and the Black Widow. While it admittedly was an awesome book, it's been reprinted . . what? . . probably 5 or 6 times by now? And whether you wanted to or not . . you just got another copy of it. So my reaction to this? This month I cut out one of my normal Marvel titles. If they want to double the price on one book, for some reprinted material . . . fine. But that means I have to cut one book someplace else. And since it was Marvel that messed up my budget . . . a Marvel book is the one I cut. Sorry! But what's fairs, fair. And this was just . . trickery. Thanks for taking care of your fans and customers by bleeding a few more dollars out of them to up your monthly revenues.

No comments:

Post a Comment