Saturday, September 29, 2007

Jonah Hex #23 - DC


I love this character. I think that Palmiotti and Gray are doing a fantastic job of keeping the stories true to his history. Very believable for the genre they're in. However . . . it seems to be a theme in the latest set of entries here . . . I'm not thrilled about the art. Jordi Bernet is actually a fantastic artist. He has incredible talent, and has been in the industry for quite a while. However, as I've said before, he's just not my cup of tea. Other than creating the mood and atmosphere from his style, that makes the book look like it could be any number of western titles if you picked up one from the 70's, I don't really know why they've decided to go in this direction. I mean, yes the guy is definitely a good artist. He has a ton of history and experience. But I thought DC was trying to bring an old genre to a new audience. I don't necessarily think that you have to do that with old style art. Yes there's a certain nostalgia to it, but after a while, I think the reader is just going to want to see a better drawn story. Or at least one with a more modern style to it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just me. But I think this book is good. However, with a better artist, I think that it could be fantastic. But that's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment