Saturday, September 29, 2007

PaneKiller Jane #3 - Dynamite Entertainment


The problem I have with cross-over series . . . series that have crossed over to a different medium, be it TV, movie or animation . . . is that after seeing 22 episodes of this character on the Sci-Fi channel, as compared to the 2 or 3 issues that have come out during that time, I have a hard time reading the book without the characters from the TV series entering in to my imagination. And lets face it, when it comes to reading comics, it's all about imagination. Tell me when you read your favorite characters . . be it Batman, Superman, Cable or whomever . . that you don't imagine a certain voice or inflection to their personalities. Am I right? And since the comics are panel by panel, and you actually have to read the words, you have to imagine the action between the panels. Although most artists create a certain flow between panels, there's still some of that which is left to the imagination. And that's what makes comics fun. Opening your mind to new, and sometimes far-fetched ideas. I'm not saying that's gone. But, my own imagination has been influenced and often directed by watching the TV shows. So in essence it makes it, almost, not as much fun to read. But, I do like the character . . . so I'll try. It would also help, though, if this book would come out on a more regular basis. But hey, that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment