Thursday, September 13, 2007

Five of a Kind - Metamorpho & Aquaman #1 - DC


This issue had a pretty cool story . . actually. I liked it. The writer was G Willow Wilson (?) . . . never heard of him . . but he did a good job with these characters. Josh Middleton was the artist. I liked the interior stuff. I really didn't like the cover. But that's just me. The story was really dealing with a little of Rex's past. Not like an origin story . . but . . the orb of Ra was pretty much the center of the conflict. And Aquaman . . actually I don't know if he really calls himself that yet . . it's the new one . . was just kind of along for the ride. I think more because he's an unknown quantity to Batman. Also Simon Stagg, Rex's nemesis and ex-father in-law, was busy in the middle of the Sahara trying to tap into the resource of an underground lake. But in doing so, he was poisoning the land around it, and eventually the very water that he was trying to retrieve. Rex tries to turn the Orb into so much salt, but there's a kind of explosion and the Orb just disappears. Long story short, our heroes resolve the situation, Rex cleans up the soil and water, and he decides to let Halcyon go free before the military can arrest her. Back aboard the Pequod Batman tells our young doppelganger, "I'm sorry Arthur. You're a good kid, but you're no Aquaman." So now our team consists of Katana and Rex. But after Batman let's Arthur go Rex tells him about the Hatches. "Ancient Atlantean magic portals. He told me he's got a network of 'em for instantaneous travel all around the world. Undetectable, untraceable . . . hell of an asset for an undercover strike team, don'tcha think?" So I'm guessing our young Arthur may have just moved up a little on Batman's list. Anyways we only have 1 more chapter in this team assembly. The next issue is Wonder Woman and Grace. I'm guessing Grace is on . . Wonder Woman is not. And then . . . we start in to the new series. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment