Saturday, September 29, 2007

100 Bullets #85 - Vertigo


The families are being threatened by the Minute-Men. They have been for a while now. Like Benito puts it, " . . . we are being threatened . . our families . . by men that used to protect us from each other. Why? Because they were stronger at handling our business than we were. We gave that to them. And when we decided we could take care of it ourselves? . . . of course they were threatened. What I wonder . . . is if we can be meaner than they can. You know I like to gamble. I never sit at a table with the intention of protecting my stake. I'm there to take everyone else's. I think lying in the weeds is ill advised. Letting the other players know I play strong makes them think they're weaker. And once they do? They are. Our families are losing head after head after head . . . it's time we made the headhunter watch his back." And that's really what this whole issue is about. We see that this issue when a couple of guys step into a gym for a workout. A woman who works there happens to recognize one as a man who raped her. She slips some Nambient in his drink, and then while he's in the sauna, some Ammonia over his rocks. She nearly kills him, but, she doesn't want to be like him. "I promised myself I'd kill you, given the chance. I needed to show you that I could. I'm not like you, but you are like me . . . . you're vulnerable." Which shows us that any of these people, no matter how strong or invincible they think they are, can be gotten to. Some how. Some way. Man I love this book. It's got the whole package, story, art and depth. Some day this books going to be considered a classic. If it isn't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment