Saturday, September 29, 2007

Detective Comics #836 - DC



Another complaint about the art. The story was ok. It was a little contrived. But, overall I enjoyed it. Probably mostly just because of the characters. But the artwork, just didn't do it for me. I actually used to be a fan of Tom Mandrake's. But now, I'm not sure if the art just seems kid of old fashioned, or if Tom's just been overexposed. I mean, he has done an awful lot of work for DC. Especially on Batman titles. And, like other artists that haven't done it for me lately, I do have to admit that the guy certainly has talent. But in the market today, with some of the super-star artists that we have around, Tom's stuff just doesn't do it for me. He's also another one that does his own inks. This one wraps up the Scarecrow storyline. He's been bouncing around Gotham scaring the crap out of everybody, but he's not doing it with his fear gas. He's turned to psychological terror. Basically he's made everyone in Gotham feel that they're not safe. No matter what the time of day. And in doing so has essentially crippled the city. And of course that puts him at odds with the Batman. And he shuts him down, by basically beating him at his own game. Like I said, the story was ok. It was by John Rozum. And it was a little predictable. But, overall, I really enjoy Batman stories . . . so . . . it was ok. The best part of the book though was the Simone Bianchi cover. Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment