Monday, September 10, 2007

Blue Beetle #18 - DC


I'm just going to get this out of the way first thing. The thing is . . . I really don't like the artwork in this issue. This whole series actually. It's just . . . I don't know . . to simple. Or cartoonish. Or something. When this series first started it really bothered me. I'm trying not to let it now, because I'm starting to get in to these characters. I also think the stories have gotten better. But honest to god . . . I just don't like these pencils. I don't know . . maybe because this book takes a lighthearted approach to it's stories . . it's trying to do the same with it's visuals. And if that's the case . . I can understand that. I don't like it any better. But . . I get it. So anyways, that's my biggest complaint about this book. This particular issue was pretty cool. Jaime, and his posse, Brenda and Paco, finally meet up with the Teen Titans. I mean, we all knew it was going to happen eventually. He fits right in with them. The best part was at the end when he was talking to Robin. Robin says to him, "I've been keeping an eye on you. New reports, mostly. In any case, I wanted to tell you that you have a lot of power . . . but your fighting skills, well . . . you've got good chops with the armor. But you need some straight-up fight training. Drop by the Tower sometime . . . to train. Or even just to hang out." Anyways, this series . . the latest issues . . really have a good feel to them. I like the way were kind of along for the ride as Jamie learns more and more about the Scarab and his powers. I also like that he's entrusted some of his friends with his activities and powers too. Honestly, I think he's handling the whole thing just like a any other kid in his situation would. And he's showing growth. So that's good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment