Saturday, September 29, 2007

Amazing Spider-man #544 - Marvel



Ok, we're finally to the story that we've all been waiting for. I gotta say, I really wasn't expecting to find that Joe Quesada had pencilled the whole issue. That really was a pleasant surprise. And since this is J Michael Stracynski's swan song, I really think he's going to go out with a bang. First we have to deal with May. Peter and MJ have moved her to a different hospital, but that really hasn't changed the situation. At least not until they come across a doctor, whom a few years ago had an uncle who was in an accident. He would've died, except Spider-man saved him. "I made a promise that if I ever had the chance to return the favor, I would." So he's helping them out, by keeping May under wraps for as long as he can. Which gives Peter time to go and try to find some help. "I'm going to pay a visit to someone with a bottomless checkbook." Which of course leads to him and Tony having a big blow-out. Tony can't really help him. He is after-all a criminal. But, what he does end up doing, is going back to the tower and transferring a lot of money to Jarvis' account, who then shows up at the hospital ready to do whatever he has to to save a woman he once loved. And now that he knows that May is safe, and will be taken care of, he's off. Off to do whatever he has to, make whatever deals are necessary, to finally find someone who can bring May back to them. I have a feeling he'll sell his soul if he has to. There are some amazing visuals in this book. Joe's talent clearly hasn't diminished any. And the story . . . the story is superb. What I really love about Stracynski's writing is the characterization. All the interaction between the people, throughout this story was . . . perfect. And this is just the beginning. This is the story that's really going to shake up Spider-man's life. Right down to the foundation. I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment