Saturday, September 29, 2007

Uncanny X-Men #490 - Marvel


I love the X-men. I love these characters. I think Ed Brubaker is doing a fantastic job with this series. And if you've perused any of my other blogs, you know that I'm a big fan of Salvador Larroca. I have been ever since I first saw him on Ghost Rider. But, I do have a complaint about this series. For a while now we've been getting these 8 to 12 part story-lines. In and of itself that doesn't bother me. But, when we start getting chapters in the middle that either don't make a whole lot of sense, or don't really seem to add anything to the story, that's when I get upset. If you can take a complete issue out of a run, and it doesn't seem to make any difference in how you read or understand the story, to me, that's a problem. It's not just in the X-men. I'm not just trying to rag on this title. It's just lately, it seems like stories are getting stretched out farther and farther, for no other purpose than to fill up 8 to 12 chapters. Or whatever. I don't think a story is any better because it's long and complicated. I think that the character of the story is weighed upon the originality of the ideas presented in it. Now, some would say, that there are no more original ideas. I definitely don't agree with that. But, I also think, that even with an old idea, you can still find a fresh way to look at it. And that's really all I'm asking for. I really do like this story. I like where they're going, and what they're trying to do. I do also however, feel that they're stretching it out longer than it needs to be. But, I'm not in the business of selling comic books . . . so . . . I have to take what I'm dealt. I really do love this series. That's just a complaint I have about the overall trend in the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment