Thursday, September 13, 2007

JSA Classified #29 - DC


This was actually an interesting story. It'll be interesting to see where they take this. I like the beginning and the basic premise. Now it just all comes down to follow thru. I'd like to see if they can actually pull it off without it being to much of a stretch. We'll see. Anyways, Arvid Nelson writes it. Don't know the name at all. But with this story, he shows some promise. The artist is Alex Sanchez. I think, if I remember correctly, I commented on some of his stuff before. It actually shows quite a bit of promise. It looks like he lends his style to a couple of different influences. Right now . . . it's not great. But . . there are a few panels that look really nice. He seems to have a good perspective and flow to his story-telling. I think that with some more exposure, and the right inker, he could show a lot of promise. It looks like, with this issue, he did his own inks. I'm just not sure that that's always the best situation. Walt Simonson, Howard Chaykin and JH Williams pull it off great. However for a new talent . . . I think it's good to have another influence on the final product. For instance, in some of Alex's faces, he tries to do to much. There's to much detail there. End the end result is kind of a choppy looking face. But I think with the right inker, they would help to smooth some of that out. And after a little collaboration, he could tune himself to what works best. I don't think when you do it yourself, your going to get that perspective or objectivity. Take the cover for example. The images around the outside are fantastic. I love the little girl's face. But the drawing of Mr Terrific in the middle . . . is not that good. But that's just my opinion. I love this character, and as I said the story shows some promise. But the proof is in the pudding. Can they pull it together in the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment