Thursday, October 29, 2009

World's Finest #1 - DC

As I wrote on the Superman / Batman blog . . World's Finest has been one of my favorite books for quite a while. I've got everything back to the mid 60's. I just loved the stories. I know. Some of them were kind of corny. But . . you have to take the good with the bad. And in my opinion, the good far outweighed the bad. So I was pretty happy when I saw this book listed in the coming attractions. It's only a mini-series, but . . you gotta take what you can get. Right? This one isn't exactly the same. This plays more on the Superman / Batman theme, than necessarily the actual characters. In this issue we have Nightwing, Chris Kent, teaming up with Tim Drake, Red Robin. Nightwing and Flamebird recently went to Gotham on their search for Zod's agents. But it was a trap laid by the Penguin. He had the Kryptonite Man ready to help him subdue the pair. Luckily Chris escaped. So he goes out looking for Tim for some help in retrieving Thara. Anyways, long story short . . they go to Gotham and rescue Thara. It wasn't overly exciting, but . . it was a neat little story. At one point Tim asks Chris about his TK. Connor has the same power so he's wondering why Chris has it. He's just as clueless as anyone else. He just started being able to do it. And at the end we see that the Kryptonite man is now the prisoner of Toy-man and Toy-boy. They want to operate on him for some reason. Next issue, following the same theme, we have Robin and Guardian. I wonder if the books will be interconnected, or their own separate stories? I thought Sterling Gates and Julian Lopez did a nice job with this first issue. Since we have different characters the stories probably won't be overly complicated within each issue. The question is, would you rather see the same characters for all 4 issues, with a more involved story, or shorter stories and more characters? It's a toss-up for me. I just think it's neat that this book is back in whatever form.

No comments:

Post a Comment