Friday, October 09, 2009

Batman Confidential #34 - DC

This story is growing on me. When this arc first started I thought the Batman seemed like a fish out of water in Moscow. But now . . as he increases his attempts to terrorize the various kingpins and their crews are starting to show some results . . I feel like he's getting his tactical edge back, and is more in his element. To me, it still seems like the Bear, Fyodor, and the Moscow Police Chief, Lukzov, are the wild-cards. The Tsar supposedly has Lukzov in his pocket, but . . I think the more Lukzov sees Batman's efforts gaining ground, the more he realizes that the 'norm' that this city has been run under doesn't necessarily have to be it's future. In other words . . he's growing a pair. Meanwhile, I think Fyodor is having some similar revelations, but maybe not for the same reason. The Tsar has abducted Lukzov's wife and daughter, but I think that the Bear is seeing some of his lost innocence in the little girl. When it comes down to it, I don't think he's going to be able to hurt her and he's going to be left with no other option than to revolt. But . . we'll have to wait until next issue to see how that all plays out. Peter Milligan has done a great job expressing Batman's role and perception in this city over the course of the story. I also like the depth that he's brought to the other characters as they've evolved over the course of this adventure. Andy Clarke's crisp pencils are just icing on the cake. All in all, I think it's a great book. Also, that fantastic cover is by Francesco Mattina. One more issue to go, and then we'll see how this all wraps up.

No comments:

Post a Comment