Thursday, October 29, 2009

Billy Batson and the Magic of SHAZAM! #9 - DC

I know this book is aimed at teen-agers, but . . I like it. I've always been a fan of Captain Marvel's, and right now this appears to be the only way we're going to get some new adventures from him. That's not to say I'm not happy with this outlet, it's just different from what we've seen before. And way different from the Power of Shazam! series. This issue is brought to us by Art Baltazar, Franco and Bryon Vaughns. It seems that there's a little spill-over from the previous adventure involving Dr Sivana, and King Kull. There's no clear threats, just something mischievous going on. We see it in the way Billy / Captain Marvel is acting. He doesn't seem to be himself. Well . . he is himself. He's just not both of himselfs. Captain Marvel hasn't changed back to Billy in days. It seems like the longer this goes on, the more arrogant and self-concerned Captain Marvel becomes. Mary uses her own magic to finally change him back. But now that he's Billy again, and he thinks about the things that Captain Marvel said and did . . 'I do know one thing . . I can never be Captain Marvel again.' This story revolves around a plot thread of some arsons going on around town. At the end of the issue we find out that when Captain Marvel captured the culprit, he ended up seriously disfiguring him because of his methods. Is this the end of Captain Marvel? I doubt it. But we'll see what happens next issue. I really like this book. But . . I would like to see some other outlet for this character. Somewhere!

1 comment: