Friday, October 09, 2009

Astonishing X-Men #31 - Marvel

Well . . we're on chapter 3 of this book now. Well . . maybe it's chapter 2 1/2. Warren Ellis has stayed on as the scripter, but now Phil Jimenez is the artist in residence. And I couldn't be happier. I absolutely love Phil's work. However, I think this story takes place before the whole Dark Avengers/Dark X-Men thing. The X-Men aren't on the island yet. They're still located in Marin County. But it's a cool story, nonetheless. Abigail Brand is still around. Which I guess makes sense since she and Hank are an item now. But she's up in outer space. She and her team go to this asteroid based station, but it's been overrun by the Brood. She torches the place and blows it up, but barely makes it out as she wants to make sure the rest of her team are clear first. Her ship sustains some damage and she can't control it as it starts to head towards Earth's atmosphere. That's where the X-Men come it. SWORD gives them a call. They don't really want to, but . . they don't really know any other way to save Abigail either. The X-Men end up saving her, but the ship still crashes. Ororo minimizes it, but it's still witnessed by everyone at Fisherman's Wharf. Including . . Laurie Collins, Wallflower. Somehow . . someone coordinated all of this because it's just to coincidental that the ship lands here and Emma spots Laurie in the crowd. She's supposed to be dead, afterall. Apparently she was waiting for Emma, because when Emma tries to talk to her telepathically . . Laurie says 'Contact'. As soon as she does, it looks like all the organs in her body come exploding out of her chest and she becomes this giant sized techno-organic Sentinel. I'm wondering if this whole thing is connected to Bastion and everything that he been throwing at the X-Men. I don't know. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I thought this was a terrific opening chapter. Like I said, I absolutely love Phil's work and as I was reading I had to study every panel of every page. Personally I think this book has been fantastic ever since issue #1. I don't think there's been a dry spell yet. But I'm really excited about this new story-arc. I can't wait to see what Warren and Phil have in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment