Thursday, October 15, 2009

Adventure Comics #3 / #506 - DC

I was thrilled to see Connor and Tim back together this issue. I think these 2 make a great team. The best team. In fact, I don't know if anyone else will agree with me, but I think they make a better team than Bruce and Clark. At least Tim's not making contingency plans on what to do should Connor lose control of his powers. Tim would just be there to bring him back . . no matter what. Connor catches up with Tim in Paris, and through trying to find Luthor, Tim shows Connor one of his old labs. The place looks like it's been ransacked . . and it has . . by Tim. Tim tells him how he tried to bring him back. 'My girlfriend die. My dad died. My best friend died. And I couldn't accept it. I couldn't lose you too.' He also tells him about his mission to find Bruce . . his impossible, hopeless, unconfirmed mission. So Connor shares a little secret with him . .'I'm keeping a journal with a list of things Superman did and Lex Luthor does and I'm checking them off. Yeah. I'm that paranoid now. I don't want to find Lex Luthor so I can drag him to prison . . I want to find him to see if there's anything good inside him at all. Hell, not even Superman can do that.' He may not have to look for long though. Luthor is actually aboard Brainiac's ship, and he's been studying Connor's return. But not as a father. He created Connor. He sees him as his property. I don't think he likes the idea of that property running around doing whatever it wants, and being influenced by Superman. I thought Geoff Johns did a fantastic job with the interaction between these 2 characters. To bad he's only going to be here until issue #6. I also liked the way that Krypto was included in this issue. In the beginning he starts retrieving and bringing Superboy's rogues to him. Basically, he's a pet looking for his master's approval. At first it was weird, but when Connor realizes what he's trying to do . . it's actually kind of touching. Which is what I really like about Geoff's writing. After reading this book you really have a feel, almost an emotional connection to these characters. You can feel their frustration, and their drive. You can also feel their relief knowing that no matter what they'll always have each others back. I thought Francis Manapul gave this book a great feel with his art also. In the Legion story we see Dirk and Brek on a mission together. They've come to Brek's home planet, Tharr to try to retrieve the Cryo-King. He's been trying to make a name for himself so that the Legion of Super-villains will accept him. The boys end up taking him down, when they finally do a little teamwork, but the really important part of this story was a little revelation at the end. In Cryo-kings possession they find a map from the 21st century . . a paper map. Dirk wants to know what it's all about. Cryo-king tells him, 'You think you're the only Legion with an espionage squad in the 21st century?' It was another good story by Geoff and Michael Shoemaker. Clayton Henry did the pencils. As I've said from issue #1, I'm so happy that this book is back. I always liked this title, but it ended rather abruptly . . some 26 years ago. Superboy and the Legion is the perfect way to get things started again. I am wondering though . . who's taking over after Geoff?

No comments:

Post a Comment