Thursday, October 15, 2009

Batgirl #3 - DC

So far, I'm thrilled with the way Bryan Q Miller is handling this book. I think he's doing a great job with the stories, and I really like the way he's handling Stephanie and Barbara's characters. It appears that Barbara is taking Steph under her wing. A mentor, of sorts. Not that she's really giving Steph much of a choice. She doesn't want to see another member of the Bat-family end up dead . . or worse. Stephanie was trying to do this on her own, but admittedly has never really followed through with anything. So even though she's a bit reluctant, I think she also realizes the value and experience that Barbara offers her. Plus, it's always easier to do something when you know you have someone there to back you up. I think that alone is giving Steph the little bit of extra strength and edge she needs to do this . . and do it right. This issue she takes on the Scarecrow. She looks like she's going to get the crap beat out of her, but . . in the end she comes through. Thanks, I think, in part to her own inner dialogue, plus that of Barbara's. I also think this is working out well for her. Barbara seems a lot more confident, and she really sinks into this teaching and mentoring role well. It fits her, and I think also makes her stronger. She even goes back to approach Wendy Harris this issue . . the Calculator's daughter. They've run into each other a couple of times, but Barbara has never really shown her support or offered help. But now she does. I think that'll prove to be an interesting part of this book also. In the end . . when Steph has pretty much destroyed the uniform that Cassie gave her, Barbara offers her her own Batgirl costume. She also offers her the pledge that Bruce and Dick shared. 'I pledge to you, Stephanie Brown . . my guidance. Support. For as long as you want it. When you go out at night, you won't be alone.' To which Stephanie replies, 'I've got your back to. Neither of us are alone in this.' The issue ends with her jumping into action at a simple 'smash & grab'. I also like the look that Lee Garbett has brought to this book. He and Trevor Scott make a fantastic team on the art. I'm just wondering . . when are we going to find out where Cassie went from here? Overall, though . . a fantastic beginning to this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment