Thursday, October 29, 2009

Superman: Secret Origin #2 - DC

I understand that the whole purpose of these incentive covers is to get the retailers to buy more issues. On this particular issue they get one of these covers for every 10 issues they order. So they order more issues, they make a little extra money, and the consumer has some collectible issues to contemplate buying. My only problem? There's just way to many of these damn things. What ever happened to the 50/50 covers? There's a few of those out every month, but not very many. I mean if they're at cover price I would think more of the collectors would buy both issues. That's what I did for World's Finest. But then you have these incentives. Take for example this week, Green Lantern - $25 cover, Blackest Night - $25 cover, Blackest Night Titans - $25 cover, this book - $10 cover, Arkham - $25 cover. That's $110 just in variant covers. And that's just this week. I know not everybody buys all of them, but . . say you're following Blackest Night . . that's and extra $75 this week. Yowtch!! First of all, that's a chunk of change. Secondly . . in order to buy these covers, most consumers, including myself, would have to make the decision of what books not to buy. I don't think that's really fair to the rest of the market. Sometimes they're cool covers, and worth it. But other times . . not so much. Anyways, that's been bugging me and I just wanted to get it out there. Is anyone else equally frustrated, or is it just me? Also . . I'm sorry. That problem really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of this book. I mean, you got Geoff Johns and Gary Frank handling the creative chores here. How could you expect anything but excellence from this book. Throw in the Legion, and the book is this comic geek's dream. Clark found out last issue that he's an alien. He also just got his 'underwear', from Ma. He's a little embarrassed to be seen in them, so . . he's been keeping a pretty low profile. You know, doing secret saves and all that. Anyways, he comes across Lionel, Lex's father, when he drives off a ravine. He's drunk. He doesn't know he's Lex's father, and Lionel barely gets a glimpse of him as Clark drops his truck in front of the police station. But most of this issue is spent on Clark's first trip into the future. Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl come back to see the greatest hero of history. I guess they wanted to see him when he was around their own age. Anyways, he goes to the future and of course Brainiac is furious because he's afraid of what they could do to the time continuum. So they bring him back. But Clark is ecstatic. It seems like this changes his whole view of things. He really felt like he could be himself in the future. Like he didn't have to hide. And . . he got a whole different perspective on being an alien. While returning him the 3 Legionnaires are connected telepathically and Cos is concerned that they can't warn Clark about future events. 'It'll be difficult with everything we know. The resurrection of Doomsday. Kandor. General Zod and the Earth/New Krypton War. The super-sun . . the death of Lex Luthor. All of it has to remain secret.' Also, after that, another rocket ship lands. Clark intercepts it, and I think it's Krypto. We don't actually see him. During the course of this issue, Clark also comes across Lex in the library, and tries to befriend him. Lex's main concern is planning for his future in Metropolis. I think he thinks Clark is beneath him. Later on we find out that his dad dies of a heart-attack while in jail. I'm not sure how Lex pulled that off, but . . now he's going to get his wish. With his dad's insurance policy in hand, he thinks 'Today. Today. Today is my last day in Smallville.' So far I think Geoff is doing a fantastic job here. I wonder if he got motivated by the episode of Smallville he wrote . . 'Legion'. It came out last season. As I've said before, I think Geoff's strength lies in his character development and interactions. And he was spot-on with this issue. And what can I say about Gary Frank? His artwork is fantastic. Great work on the inside and both covers. If this isn't an book that you're buying, you really should think about it. It's great. And . . it's a classic in the making. I know we're not covering a lot of new ground here. But . . it's the way that Geoff and Gary cover it that's so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment