Thursday, October 29, 2009

HULK #16 - Marvel

At the end of last issue . . the Red She-Hulk shows up with Domino's gun and Elektra's sai. First of all . . what do we call her? ReSHULK? ReSHULK and RULK . . what a pair. It sounds like some kine of Afghanistan punk rock band, or something. Or maybe a Russian talk-show. Anyways, we have no idea where she came from . . nor does Rulk, but . . she does seem to be here to help him. Or, I guess I should say . . it seems like she's there at the behest of whomever they're both working for. Probably to assess and contain the problem. Through this . . we figure out another clue to the Rulk's identity. He's not Doc Samson. Actually, if we listen to the banter between ReSHULK and RULK, I think we'll find some clues in there. But I'm not sure what they are. Apparently he considers himself a master strategist, and the way he's behaved lately is demeaning to him and what he holds important. 'I was given a gift of enormous power. Instead of harboring it, I indulged myself smashing things with the same mindless forethought as . . Banner. Weakness can't be taught. It's a flaw of character. I've been blind to my current situation. I could never have anticipated the introduction of Red She-Hulk. She is a major distraction. They exploited my strength and used it as my weakness. The people I've allied myself with may be many things . . but everything they do is for a specific reason. There is a traitor right here. Someone I trusted. Doc Samson.' I know that doesn't tell us alot, but . . it tells us something. I'm just not sure what it is. Plus, in the RULK's narrative this issue, he goes over a story about his father teaching him a lesson about cigarette's. In the story, after he throws up, his father tells him that the lesson wasn't about the smoking . . 'He wanted to teach me that anything in excess would make we weaker.' Anyways . . it seems like I've heard that story somewhere before. The issue ends with RULK on his knees, and the group that he put together to go after Domino . . minus Elektra, but adding in ReSHULK . . is led to his location by Samson. It looks like his intent is to kill him. I'm still amazed that Jeph Loeb has gone this long without giving up the RULK's identity. I'm sure he's got subtle clews strewn throughout these books, but . . we're oblivious without knowing what he's hinting at. I'm a huge fan of Ian Churchill, and I'm glad that he's done the last couple of issues. But, he's using a style that's more like Ed McGuinness' than his own. Which is fine. He's trying to keep the book consistent. But I'd really like to see his take on these characters. Anyways, I like this book, and I love these characters. I just wish I knew what the hell was going on.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reviewing this book, so that I never have to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do enjoy this book. I think Jeph can be a great writer. But, after 16 issues, if you really think about it . . this book has gone nowhere. We don't know much more now than we did with issue #1. But . . I'm also a fan of Ed and Ian's work, so . . I stick with it.

    ReplyDelete