Thursday, October 29, 2009

X Necrosha #1 - Marvel

I know this story has been building for a while now . . with Bastion and Selena and all, but . . before I get started on this, there's just one thing I gotta' say. I know I'll probably catch flack for this, but . . this whole thing, with all the mutants rising from the dead and coming back to cause grief for the living . . does that remind anybody else of anything? Come on. I know you know. Ok, I'll just say it . . this whole thing doesn't seem that much different from . . . Blackest Night. I know! I know it is different. It's just kind of coincidental to me that both companies have similar story-lines going on at the same time. I'm just sayin'! Anyways, unlike the other story-line, not everyone is coming back to life here. Just the mutants that Bastion and Selena have picked for their individual teams. And . . those they thought best to strike at their intended targets . . the X-Men. And they're both using the same techno-organic virus . . from now on called TO . . except Selena's is infused with mysticism, 'perverting' the original program. Anyways, we get a little bit of Selena's history here, and find out the make-up of her core team . . Wither, Blink, Senyaka, Mortis and Eli Bard. But there's lot's of other name-brand mutants that she's brought back to cause trouble also. These include Doug Ramsey, the Hellions. Shinobi Shaw, Harry Leland, Pyro, Beserker, Thunderbird, Caliban and Destiny. And the piece de resistance in Selena's bid for power? Hammer Bay . . Genosha. Clayton Crain's picture here . . the 2-page spread of the fallen nation . . is just haunting. It's actually daunting, how intense this picture is. Hence the name of the title . . Necrosha . . Genosha. Get it? Also, sensing what Selena is up to, Bastion decides to speed up his plan. Whatever that may be. And Laura is back at Utopia . . her arm almost completely regrown. Anyways, this sets us up for the story leading directly in to X-Force #21. In the second story, Doug Ramsey and the Hellions break in to the base at Utopia. While Doug does help them, he's also on a mission of his own. Selena has tasked him with taking out her granddaughter . . Amara. This chapter sets up the story, and leads directly in to New Mutants #6. And finally in the last story we get a little view of what Selena has Destiny around for. Basically . . she's second guessing her moves as she progress' along the board . . she wants to assure her outcome. But Destiny ends up going to Utopia and gives Blindfold a message. We don't know what it is, but afterwards Destiny seems distraught. 'No, wait! No, that isn't . . what have I done? What have I done?' Eerie! And this chapter leads in to the story in X-Men: Legacy #231. All in all I thought it was a good book. I just thought I should comment on the comparison. Selena's story was by Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, with incredible art by Clayton Crain. The Doug Ramsey chapter was created by Zeb Wells and Ibraim Robertson. And Destiny's chapter was by Mike Carey and Laurence Campbell. I almost didn't pick this one up, but . . with everything going on in the X-books . . I thought I better. I'm glad I did. I'm sure this filled in some holes. And it was only $3.99. I actually expected it to be a couple dollars more. And with my next book being New Mutants #6 . . we move directly into the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment