Thursday, October 15, 2009

Uncanny X-Men First Class #4 - Marvel

This book is a little more intense than the previous edition, X-Men: First Class. That one aimed at the kids as they first entered the school, and were learning about their powers. It seemed a little more upbeat and hopeful. This one, obviously, takes place after Giant Sized X-Men #94. So this is the older more experienced X-Men. Plus this is after Wolverine joined. It just seemed like everything got more serious after that. Anyways, this is a good book for new readers of the X-Men to jump on. They can see all these characters as they're coming together, training together, and learning how to interact as teammates and friends. So far there hasn't been any of the epic cosmic stories of the early Uncanny books, but . . I think there's one on the horizon. Over the last couple of issues a story has been building out by the sun. The UN has a station out there, Starcore, and the scientist Peter Corbeau has been working in it. He's been starting to get concerned about something, and this issue uses a cerebro type helmet to try to reach, and warn Charles. Shortly after, the station is boarded by extra-terrestials. They call themselves the Knights of Hykon. They look pretty formidable, and they kind of remind me of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. I could be wrong. They just kind of have that look to me. But that story has been piecing together over the last few issues. The main story this issue is with Jean and Ororo having a night out with Misty Knight and Colleen Wing . . you know, Heroes for Hire? Anyways, they try to have a girls night, but of course they're interrupted by a villain, Nightshade. Because of this adventure, SHIELD will be brought more into the X-Men's lives. Overall I thought it was an ok book. It wasn't overly exciting, but like I said it's a good place, and book, for new readers and followers to jump in. Scott Gray wrote it, with David Williams doing the art. I'll most likely stay through the next story-arc, but after that I may drop it. It's just not that exciting for me. Plus . . there's so much other X-Men stuff coming out . . I'd hate to miss something because I'm picking up a book I'm only mildly interested in. We'll see how it goes though.

No comments:

Post a Comment